Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
CHCCS and ECHHS Attendance Policies and Procedures
CHCCS BOE Policy 4400 Attendance in school and participation in class are integral parts of academic achievement and the teaching-learning process. Through regular attendance, students develop patterns of behavior essential to professional and personal success in life. Regular attendance by every student is mandatory. The State of North Carolina requires that every child in the State between the ages of 7 (or younger if enrolled) and 16 attend school. Parents and legal guardians are responsible for ensuring that students attend and remain at school daily.
ECHHS Attendance Support Contacts
East Chapel Hill High School Attendance Line (919) 969-2482, Option 3
Mrs. Walker – Attendance (919)969-2482 ext. 27001
Mrs. Farrar – Student PowerSchool email@example.com
Ms. Tedder- Parent PowerSchool firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Watson- Education Opportunity email@example.com
Mrs. Kieckbusch – College Virtual Visit firstname.lastname@example.org
Full-Day Absence Procedure
When a student is absent, parents need to call the attendance line to report the child absence the morning that the child would be absent before 10:00 am in order to be excused
If a student has to leave early the student must submit a note from the parent to Mrs. Walker at the front desk. Upon returning to school, bring a note from the medical appointment.
All notes from medical doctors and other appointments will be used as verification of an excused absence
There is a 3-day grace period to get the attendance changed. After 3 days the attendance will not be changed.
Notes from parent/guardian must include:
- the date(s) of absence
- the reason for the absence
- the signature of a parent or guardian or an email from the listed in PowerSchool
Failure to follow these steps will result in an unexcused absence. Attendance will note the unexcused absence in PowerSchool until a student submits an excused note to the Attendance office support within 3 school days of the absence.
Excused absences from a parent or guardian must meet at least one of the excused absence reasons below:
Excused Absences - CHCCS School Board Policy 4400
- Personal illness; including medical, psychological, and dental care
- Isolation ordered by the State Board of Health
- Death in the immediate family
- Medical or dental appointments which cannot be rescheduled outside of school time
- Participation under subpoena as a witness in a court proceeding
- Religious Observance with prior approval of the Principal
- Pre-arranged absences due to an Educational Opportunity (including field trips, athletic contests, and travel, etc.). Please see Ms. Watson in Quad A office to request an Educational Absence.
- Pregnancy and related conditions or parenting, when medically necessary
Any absence that has not been excused by the Attendance office will be an unexcused absence. STUDENTS HAVE THREE (3) SCHOOL DAYS TO HAVE UNEXCUSED ABSENCES CODED AS EXCUSED. Excessive absences may result in the parents'/guardians’ required participation in truancy court.
Late Arrival Procedure
Students who arrive at school late with a parent/guardian present or have an excused note must report directly to Mrs. Walker. If they are a student driver they must sign in and receive a pass to class.
Tardy reasons not meeting the excused absence criteria will be marked as unexcused.
Early Dismissal Procedure
- Parents/guardians should send in a note notify Mrs. Walker in order to check out of school early.
- Written notes will only be accepted by the parent/guardian in PowerSchool.
- Only designated contacts listed in PowerSchool are allowed to check a student out of school.
- The parent/guardian should ring the bell for entrance to the main office.
- The parent/guardian will then present identification and sign the student out of school.
- Student drivers must sign out with Mrs. Walker at the time designated by the parent/guardian’s note, or phone call.
- If the student returns to school the same day, they must check back in with Mrs. Walker with the excuse note from the appointment.
At this present time no visitors are allowed in the building.
No Student will be called out of class after 3:30pm.