Public schools are responsible for enforcing the compulsory school attendance laws of the State of North Carolina. Every effort shall be made to keep every student in school. Students shall be punctual in reporting to school and to classes and shall attend regularly throughout the year.
- Students are expected to attend school, on time and ready to learn each and every day that school is in session.\
- If a student must leave the school during the instructional day, the parent is responsible for contacting the school beforehand. The parent is required to come into the school to check out his/ her child or send a note the morning of the early dismissal.
- If a student is planning on taking a college visit, the visit must be pre-approved through the Quad A administrative office.
- No retroactive phone calls will be accepted to excuse students who leave school without prior parental approval. Signing out is mandatory for all students who leave school!
For tardies and absences, make up work will be provided, but must be completed within the time frame commensurate with the number of days missed. This policy includes assessment make up (eg., miss 1 day=1 day to make it up; miss 3 days=3 days to make it up). Exceptions can be made by individual teachers only in cases of documented illnesses or hospitalizations or other absences considered as excused. Students will be referred to administration after a fourth unexcused tardy, or two unexcused absences to any class.
- If the work/assessment is not made up within the stipulated timeframe, the grade will be entered as a “0”.
According to CHCCS School Board Policy 4400 excused absences are:
- Personal illness; including medical, psychological and dental care
- Isolation ordered by the Sate board of Health
- Death in the immediate family
- Medical or dental appointments which cannot be rescheduled outside of school time
- Participation under subpoena as a witness in a court proceeding
- Religious Observance with prior approval of the Principal
- Pre-arranged absences due to an Educational Opportunity (including field trips, athletic contests, and travel, etc.)- Please fill out the Student Leave of Absence form, also available at Quad A office, to request an Educational Absence.
- College visit- only two days will be excused for Juniors and seniors for this purpose.
- Pregnancy and related conditions or parenting,when medically necessary
After 10 consecutive days of absence from school, the administration is required by law to notify parents that their student will be withdrawn from East Chapel Hill High School.
Late to School / Leaving During the Day
If the student comes to school anytime after 9:00 am, he/she should report to the Reception Desk to check in and receive a Late to School pass to class.
If any student leaves school for any reason he/she must sign out at the reception desk. If he/she returns before the end of the scheduled day, he/she must check back in through the Reception Desk.
Home instruction may be provided in cases of prolonged illness or injury. Speak with Nurse Brady at ext. 27008 for more information.
Exams & Absences
Educational opportunity requests WILL NOT be approved during any exam period.
A student is considered to have an unexcused tardy if he/she is not in the instruction area designated by the teacher at the time class begins and does not have an excuse deemed valid by the teacher. Three (3) unexcused tardies of 15 minutes or more shall be treated as one unexcused absence under the State's Compulsory Attendance Law. Students are responsible for reconciling absences/tardies with their instructor.
Students who arrive to school on late school buses are not considered tardy and will receive a Late Bus pass from the Reception Desk to report to class.