Welcome to CHCCS Pre-K/Head Start
CHCCS Pre-K/Head Start is a comprehensive program that provides education, health, mental health, disability services, nutrition, parent involvement, and family support to address the needs of the young child. The program provides services to children, three to five years of age, not yet eligible for kindergarten and families living in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School District. We are open 180 school days from 8 am-2:30 pm with before and after care available.
Your Child's Learning Experiences
We are leaders in efforts to improve early childhood education for all children. Designed to meet the needs of the community served and enhance its ethnic and cultural characteristics, we have developed a rich curriculum to support varied learning styles and needs.
A day in the life of a Pre-K student
School day is 8:00am - 2:30pm. This is a typical schedule in a Pre-K classroom.
- 8:00am Students arrive, greeted by teachers and classmates, and enter into play.
- 9:00am Students have a balanced and nutritious breakfast in their classroom or cafeteria followed by toothbrushing.
- 9:30am Students participate in whole group/circle time
- 9:50am Students participate in learning activities in interest areas or “centers.”
- Blocks/building; dramatic play; art/drawing; books/library; discovery/science; manipulatives/table toys; sand & water; music & movement.
- 10:50am Recess/Free play
- 11:50am Lunch is served followed by a second toothbrushing.
- 12:30pm Read aloud and Transition to nap
- 1-2:00pm Nap, rest, or quiet time
- 2-2:30pm Music and Movement prepare to go home.
Students accepted into our extended care program can arrive as early at 7:30am and pick up by 5:30pm. The CHCCS Pre-K Head Start Program follows the CHCCS School calendar (link to calendar). The program is not in session during holidays, spring break and summer vacation.