Back to School 2022-23
Welcome back, CHCCS families! Please bookmark this page for important information and ongoing updates as we go back to school for students in grades K-12 on Monday, Aug. 29 and Pre-K on Tuesday, Sept. 6!
Enrollment/Registration: We're so happy you've chosen Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools! If your student will be new to CHCCS, visit our enrollment page for details on the registration process, school assignments and related information.
Calendar: Here’s the full 2022-23 school year calendar in Google, printable (PDF) and translated formats.
The start and end times for each level are as follows:
- Elementary School
- School starts at 7:50 a.m.
- School ends at 2:35 p.m.
- Middle School
- School starts at 8:25 a.m.
- School ends at 3:20 p.m.
- High School
- School starts at 8:55 a.m.
- School ends at 4 p.m.
Communication: View this page for more on how CHCCS, as a district, communicates with employees, families and the Chapel Hill-Carrboro community. Additional communication can be routinely expected from your school, teacher(s), activity leaders, coaches and more!
School Supply Lists: Click on the links below to view information about school supplies for your student.
Elementary School Supply Lists:
- Carrboro Elementary
- Ephesus Elementary
- Estes Hills Elementary
- Frank Porter Graham Bilingüe Elementary
- Glenwood Magnet Elementary
- McDougle Elementary
- Morris Grove Elementary
- Northside Elementary
- Rashkis Elementary
- Scroggs Elementary
- Seawell Elementary
Middle School Supply Lists:
COVID-19 Protocols for 2022-23 (Updated September 13, 2022): Be sure to check our COVID-19 Dashboard throughout the school year for daily updates on positive cases of COVID-19, vaccination and testing opportunities, health strategies and other important information. Click on the link for updated COVID-19 Protocols.
Immunizations: For Pre-K, Kindergarten, rising 7th Grade and rising 12th Grade students there are specific requirements for needed immunizations. An up-to-date immunization record indicating that students have received the required immunizations is due by the first day of attendance at school. If proof of the immunizations is not provided within 30 calendar days after school entry, students will not be allowed to attend school (in-person or virtually) until it is provided.
- If your student is entering Pre-K or Kindergarten, or is a rising 7th grader or 12th grader, contact your primary care provider or the Orange County Health Department about immunizations required by the first day of school (Monday, Aug. 29.)
Health Assessments: Additionally, state law requires that every child entering public schools in N.C., for the first time, receive a health assessment. The assessment must occur within 12 months prior to entering school. The medical provider, parent or guardian must provide a completed health assessment transmittal form to the principal of the school on or before the child's first day of attendance. If the Health Assessment Transmittal Form is not provided within 30 calendar days after school entry, students will not be allowed to continue attending school (in-person or virtually) until it is provided.
- If your student is new to North Carolina public schools, please work with your healthcare provider to complete a Health Assessment Transmittal Form no later than within 30 days of entering school.
Once complete, please submit these records to your school nurse. Click this link for school nurse contact information.
School meals (breakfast and lunch): Due to the expiration of a federal waiver, school breakfasts and lunches will no longer be free for all students during the 2022-23 school year. While many families may still be eligible for free or reduced-price breakfasts and lunches (and if so, you must complete a new application), other families need to be aware of the prices that go back into effect in August. Please visit this page for prices as well as the application for free or reduced-price meals.
Pre-Pay for Meals: You may pre-pay for school meals throughout the year using a service known as “K12PaymentCenter”. To sign up, visit our website and find the link for “Pre-Pay for Meals” to get started. (If using a mobile device, click that link and then expand the menu next to “Meals and Nutrition” in order to see “Pre-Pay for Meals”.)
- Note: Families who are checking their children's existing lunch balances through the payment center may find that there is a $0 balance. This is because the account has not been used since 2020. The account is temporarily inactive on the payment center's end, but not on CHCCS’s end. Therefore, you cannot see the balance or account history. Once your child makes their first purchase this school year or funds have been added to the account, the account will reactivate the balance and history. If you would like to know the balance before then, please contact the School Nutrition Office at 919-967-8211 ext. 28270.
PowerSchool: Sign up for your PowerSchool account today! PowerSchool parent/student portals give access to attendance, grades and assignments. A single parent portal account can be linked to multiple students.
Bus Driver Recruitment: You may have heard about the urgent need for bus drivers, a shortage that continues to be felt nationwide. We’ve been working diligently to recruit, train and retain more drivers. Check out this page of incentives for current and future bus drivers, and spread the word that CHCCS is hiring!