2019 Battle of the Books
Thanks to everyone who participated in our 2019 Battle of the Books! We had 6 teams compete in the school battle this year.
Congratulations to the winning team, Book Juice, made up of 4th graders from Lange's, Partin's and Ward's classes. This team represented our school at the District Battle. This year the team from Seawell Elementary claimed the District title. Congratulations to all of the participating students for their hard work, dedication to reading, and participation in this annual reading program.
A very special thank you to all the volunteer coaches who met with their teams weekly to prepare them for the competition. We could not have done it without their support!
What is Battle of the Books?
It's a fun reading competition that tests students' knowledge of the selected. Teams of 8-12 participants read the 18 selected Battle books in December, January and February. In February and March, teams met to practice for the battle. On March 20th, all the teams competed in the school battle to see which team knows the most about the books. Coming soon: pictures from this year's battle.
CHCCS Elementary Battle of the Books 2019:
- Ban This Book by Alan Gratz
- The Candymakers by Wendy Mass
- Doll Bones by Holly Black
- El Deafo by Cece Bell
- The First Rule of Punk by Celia Pérez
- Fortunately the Milk by Neil Gaiman
- Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly
- How to Steal a Dog by Barbara O'Connor
- Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai
- The Lemonade War by Jacqueline Davies
- Not So Different by Shane Burcaw
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
- Save Me a Seat by Sarah Weeks & Gita Varadarajan
- A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd
- Stella by Starlight by Sharon M. Draper
- The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger
- The Watsons go to Birmingham- 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis