Mentors are the heart of our organization. We could not function without the support and investment of our mentors. Mentor-advocates help to identify their mentee’s potential and find ways to tap into that potential for growth. Mentors also take on the role of advocates by ensuring that their mentee is receiving the services needed at school and taking advantage of other community supports.
Blue Ribbon needs more mentors to invest in the lives of students in Chapel Hill-Carrboro!
Contactthe Office of Equity and Inclusion at 919-967-8211 (x28247) or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about becoming a mentor.
** Mentors must be at least 21 years old. All mentors must pass a screening interview, criminal background check, and driving history check.
- Spend 2 hours per week one-on-one with your mentee
- Perform additional advocacy activities as needed
- Work with your mentee for a minimum of 1 year
- Attend pre-service and ongoing training
- Stay in regular contact with program staff
If you have any questions about your application or about becoming a mentor, please feel free to contact the Office of Equity and Inclusion at 919-967-8211 (x28247) or email@example.com.
Signing up is as easy as 1-2-3!
If you are ready to begin the exciting journey of becoming a Blue Ribbon Mentor, please start by filling out the online application below. We will contact you with more details once your application has been submitted.
- Complete an Online Application.
- Schedule a time for a screening interview with the office of Equity and Inclusion.
- Attend our new mentor training (3 sessions). These fun and interactive sessions will prepare you to be a great mentor! See the schedule for the 2020-2021 school year below.
Do you still have questions about becoming a Mentor? Take a look at our Mentor FAQ
From arts camps to leadership opportunities, Blue Ribbon Mentor Advocate provides exceptional resources for mentees, mentors, and parents. Our programs aim to expose our members to the academic, social, and cultural resources they need to chart a successful and fulfilling course in life.
Enrichment Funds Requests
Parents, mentors, or BRMA staff members may submit requests for funds. Students may submit information as well, but only in conjunction with an adult sponsor. Requests are reviewed by a committee, and responses are usually provided within 1-2 weeks. Use this form to request funds
- For use by students actively participating in BRMA programming
- Used to fund “enrichment” needs such as summer camp tuition, lesson/class fees, sport participation fees, mental health counseling, or for the purchase of equipment for sports, music, arts or other activity participation. Other potential uses may be approved by on a case-by-case basis.
- General guidelines will limit each student’s use of Enrichment Funds to $250 per year.
- BRMA prefers not to pay for the entire cost of activities, and we encourage parents and mentors to seek other sources of support including requesting other scholarships and making personal contributions to the cost of an activity.
Travel Permission Forms
Blue Ribbon Mentor-Advocates have permission to take their mentees on regular outings within the Triangle area. However, if you’re going on a longer trip, you can use this form to get written permission from your mentee’s parent.
Once the form is complete, please give a copy to the parent and a copy to the BRMA office.