North Carolina Principal of the Year Program
Since 1984, Wells Fargo Bank has financially supported a program in collaboration with the Department of Public Instruction to recognize outstanding principals from the North Carolina public schools. Since the inception of the program, we have recognized 38 state Wells Fargo Principals of the Year, 248 regional award recipients, and 3,167 local Wells Fargo Principals of the Year.
The candidate must:
- Be a principal of a North Carolina public school.
- Have at least four years’ experience as an administrator (years may be a combination of assistant principal, principal and central office experience).
- A principal is a person designated by a local Board of Education as the head of a school with 100 or more pupils in average daily membership (ADM) and/or with seven or more full-time, state-allotted teachers.
- A principal is the executive head of the school
- Be employed as a school administrator throughout the local and regional selection process.
- Be a practicing school administrator in order to compete for the Wells Fargo Principal of the Year state title and remain practicing principal for the entire term.
- Hold a valid principal's license.
- Create a climate of inquiry the challenges the school community to continually re-purpose itself by building on its core values and beliefs about its preferred further and then developing a pathway to reach it.
- Reculture the school if needed to align with school’s goals of improving student and adult learning and to infuse the work of the adults and students with passion, meaning and purpose.
- Build a sense of efficacy and empowerment among staff that result in a “can do” attitude when faced with challenges.
- Ensure the school is a professional learning community.
- Create with staff opportunities for parents, community, and business representatives to participate in the school such that continued investments of resources and good will are not left to chance.
CHCCS Principals of the Year
2005 Susan Pegg
2006 Jacqueline Boyd Ellis
2007 Deshera Mack (Regional Finalist)
2008 Amy Rickard
2009 Valerie Reinhardt
2010 Emily Bivins
2011 Susan Wells
2012 Amanda Hartness
2013 Marny Ruben
2014 Amy Rickard (Regional Finalist)
2015 Darlene Ryan
2016 LaVerne Mattocks
2017 Beverly Rudolph
2018 John Williams
2019 Emily Bivins
2020 Robert Bales