Substitute Teacher Information
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER HIRING PROCESS
Thank You for Your Interest in Becoming a Substitute Teacher!
Substitute teachers are employed by the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools on an as-needed basis to fill in for absent classroom teachers and selected teacher assistants.
How Do I Apply to be a Substitute Teacher?
- Visit www.chccs.org/careers to access the application for substitute teachers. (JobID #754).
- Complete the online portion of the application
- Upload the required application materials
- Cover Letter
- College Transcript(s)
- Once all portions of the application are complete, click “Submit”
What is Required for HR Approval of a Substitute Teaching Application?
- Completed online application and supporting documents
- Confidential online reference forms from your current (or most recent) supervisors (minimum of 2)
- Clear criminal background check
What Happens After My Application is Approved by HR?
- Applicants who meet the qualifications for hire will be contacted by HR. A member of the HR team will extend a verbal offer of employment.
- If you accept, you will be recommended by the Superintendent to the Board of Education for approval and hire.
What Happens After I Have Been Approved for Hire by the Board?
- Following Board approval, newly hired substitute teachers submit the required new hire paperwork and complete a new hire orientation before beginning work.
What Happens After I Have Completed New Hire Orientation?
- Once orientation is complete, you will receive an email containing:
- A link to the Substitute Teacher Handbook
- Detailed directions for navigating the online substitute system
- Training resources
- Contact list for all school-based substitute contacts.
What Can I Expect Once I Become a Substitute Teacher?
- Substitutes are able to customize their substitute management system accounts to meet their individual preferences, including:
- Setting (or eliminating) automated call times
- Determining preferences for the schools at which they wish to view assignments
- Establishing availability parameters (i.e., available M, W, F only)
NOTE: Substitute teachers play an important role in the everyday operation of the local school. It is extremely important that the job responsibilities are understood and followed. Because substitute teachers may serve in many schools with limited ability for consistent supervision, a complaint from any school about the performance of a substitute teacher may result in excluding that substitute from the schools' substitute teacher list and/or removing that substitute from the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools' approved substitute teacher list.
Substitute Teacher Pay is $135.00 per day for substitutes holding a teaching license. Approved substitutes not holding a teaching license are paid $125.00 per day. Your paycheck is automatically direct deposited into your bank account at the end of the month. If you have any further questions in reference to substitute teaching, please email Taryn Simmons.
We look forward to receiving your substitute application soon!
Resources for Substitutes
Substitute Teacher Virtual Job Fair Information with Video Recording
For questions or assistance with the substitute application process, please reach out to either Taryn Simmons, CHCCS HR Substitute Specialist, at email@example.com or Monica Davis, HR Director for Talent Acquisition, Staff Engagement, and Retention, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to working with you soon!