Section 504 Notice of Parent Rights

  • Chapel Hill – Carrboro City Schools
    Notice of Parent / Guardian
    Rights and Protections
    Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
    As a parent, you have the right to:

    1. Have your child take part in, and receive benefit from, public education programs without discrimination based on a disability.
    2. Have the District advise you as to your rights under the law.
    3. Receive notice with respect to the identification, evaluation, or placement of your child.
    4. Have your child receive a free appropriate public education. This includes the right to be educated with non-disabled students to the maximum extent appropriate. It also includes the right to have the District make reasonable accommodations to allow your child an equal opportunity to participate in school and school-related activities.
    5. Have your child educated in facilities and receive services comparable to those provided students without disabilities.
    6. Have your child receive special education and related services if she/he is found to be eligible under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), or to receive reasonable accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
    7. Have eligibility and educational placement decisions made based upon a variety of information sources, and by individuals who know the student, the eligibility data, and placement options.
    8. Give your child an equal opportunity to participate in non-academic and extracurricular activities offered by the District through the provision of reasonable accommodations.
    9. Examine all relevant records relating to decisions regarding your child’s identification, eligibility, educational program, and placement.
    10. Obtain copies of educational records at a reasonable cost unless the fee would effectively deny you access to the records.
    11. Receive a response from the District to reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of your child’s records.
    12. Request amendment of your child’s educational records if there is a reasonable cause to believe that they are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of your child. If the District refuses this request, it shall notify you within a reasonable time, and advise you of the right to a hearing.
    13. Pursue the CHCCS Grievance Procedure: Board Policy 1740/4010 
    14. Request an impartial hearing related to decisions regarding your child’s identification, eligibility, and educational placement by contacting the EC Director, Alicia Tate at (919) 967-8211 ext. 28234.
    15. File a formal complaint with the regional Office for Civil Rights, located at: U.S. Department of Education in Washington DC.