Safe schools are critical to creating a learning environment in which students can succeed. Staff and students share the responsibility for taking reasonable precautions and following established safety measures to create and maintain safe schools.
CHCCS constantly reviews and addresses ways in which we address the following areas of focus.
Areas of Focus
- Prevention & Mitigation -- Programs and efforts that work to prevent and mitigate the occurance of a crisis.
- Preparedness -- Programs and efforts that prepare students, staff, district personel, and related agencies on how to respond and react to crisises.
- Response -- These are systems in place to respond to an active crisis.
- Recovery -- In the event of a crisis, these efforts are designed to support students, staff, and facilities as they return to learning and teaching after a crisis occurance.
Guiding Principles of Safe School
Everyone has responsibility for safety and for promoting strong relationships at school: student, parents, teachers, principals, assistant principals, security staff, social workers, counselors, psychologists, nurses, other school staff, and other members of the school community.
The work of CHCCS Safe Schools relies heavily on our relationships with a vast number of partnering agencies and organizations. Some of the agencies and organizations that CHCCS Safe Schools works with include:
- CHCCS staff
- Collboration with Chapel Hill Law enforcement
- Collboration with Carrboro Law enforcement
- Fire Department staff
- Emergency Operations/Management staff
Respect for Diversity
Everyone has responsibility for promoting a culture of safety and respect for diversity within our schools: students, parents, teachers, principals, assistant principals, security staff, social workers, counselors, psychologists, nurses, other school staff, and other members of the school community.
Involvement and participation in school activities encourages a supportive school environment and healthy relationships and connections.
Related Board Policies
- For more information on Safe Schools, please connect with Tracy Holloway, Safe Schools Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org and 919-967-8211 ext. 28285.