The Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Feeding Team is a multidisciplinary team designed to provide support to preschool, elementary, and secondary students who may be in need of intervention to ensure they are able to eat safely and/or to eat in a developmentally appropriate manner as it relates to the school setting. Physical therapists are also part of the team as indicated. Parental and medical provider input is a core component of the evaluation process. Follow-up support and training is available on an on-going basis by request.
The Feeding team will also assist in the development of IEP goals related to addressing a student's feeding progression.
If you require assistance with any feeding needs, please contact your school-based Speech Language Pathologist and/or Occupational Therapist first and they will provide the initial consultation.
When to Refer
- Swallowing concerns; frequent coughing, vocal changes, watery eyes when eating, noise respiration during or after eating, or diagnosis of aspiration by an outside agency.
- Active food refusals during meal/snack time, disruptive mealtime behaviors.
Common Feeding Issues
- Oral motor weakness
- Immature oral skills
- Oral sensory/processing issues
- Limited diet
- Poor postural control
- Environmental/equipment issues
Making a Referral
Please make sure to contact your school-based Speech Language Pathologist or Occupational Therapist first. These staff members may be able to assist you with the feeding questions/concerns prior to making a referral to the Feeding Team.
- Obtain Permission to test:
- Signed DEC-2
- Attach DEC-2 to the Referral Form
- Complete Feeding Referral form and submit vial inter-office mail to: