Changing a student's legal or preferred name
Students have two names saved in the CHCCS Student Information System (PowerSchool).
- A student's legal name is the name that appears on his or her birth certificate, passport, or adoption decree. This is the name under which a student must be enrolled. Legal documentation (court order, adoption decree, certified birth certificate or passport) must be provided to change a student's legal name.
- A parent may request that a preferred first and/or middle name appear in PowerSchool. CHCCS does not have the ability to display a preferred last name. No documentation is required.
To change a student's legal or preferred name, please complete the Name Change Form and return it and any required documentation (for legal name changes) to the Office of Student Enrollment & Assignment.
You may email the form to email@example.com or drop it off at Lincoln Center in person.
A parent may change a student's preferred name for any of the following reasons:
- A student is being harassed/bullied as a result of their legal name being displayed.
- A student is transitioning and has requested to be identified with their preferred name.
- A student is commonly known as and prefers to be identified with their middle name or a name that is not on their birth certificate or passport (legal first name).
Legal Name and Preferred Name Display
The legal name will display in the following reports or systems:
- NC Transcript
- High School Diplomas
- School Nutrition
The preferred name will display in the following reports or systems:
- Report Cards
- Teacher Gradebook