Looking for great activities to do at home with your child? Seeking ways to hold discussions with your student? Enjoy the videos below and check regularly for more videos on how to engage with your student at home.
Shanice Harrington, CHCCS teacher at Seawell Elementary shares tips for "Learning with Ease" while we are home.
Carolyn Sierra, CHCCS teacher at McDougle Elementary shares tips for "Developing Vocabulary Skills" without using devices.
Alexis Richardson, an educator from Cabarrus County will share "How to Make Family Games Educational".
Roslyn Moffitt and Carla Marlin Smith, CHCCS held a conversation for families, "Let's Talk: A Conversation About Parenting in a Time of Racial Unrest, Uncertainty, and Trauma".
To receive information about local options for children from infants through age 12, call the hotline at 1-888-600-1685.
More information can be found on the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services/ Division of Child Development and Early Education website.
This a list of important phone numbers for parents/caregivers to utilize during a crisis. In cases of an emergency always call 911.
Click here to go to the CHCCS COVID-19 Site
CHCCS continues to work closely with local, state, and national organizations to make sure our community stays safe from the CORONOVIRUS and we're updating our information frequently.
Academic Resource Lists
Supporting your Children’s Social, Emotional, and Mental Health During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Let's Talk: Frank Discussions: In a time of Racial Unrest, Uncertainty, and Trauma
Readings for Adults
- “75 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice” by Corrine Shutack
- “The 1619 Project” by Nikole Hannah Jones
- Before the Mayflower by Lerone Bennett, Jr
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- “Explaining White Privilege to Broke White People” by Gina Crosley-Corcoran
- How to be an Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- Uprooting Racism: How White People Can Work for Racial Justice
- Raising White Kids: Bringing Up Children in a Racially Unjust America by Jennifer Harvey
- "What White Children Need to Know About Race," by Ali Michael
- White Fragility by Robin Diangelo
- White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son by Tim Wise
- "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" by Peggy McIntosh
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria by Beverly Daniel Tatum
Books for Students
- All the Colors We Are / Todos los colores de nuestra piel: The Story of How We Get Our Skin/ La historia de por qué tenemos diferentes colores de piel by Katie Kissinger
- Can I Touch Your Hair? Poems of Race, Mistakes and Friendship by Irene Latham & Charles Waters; Sean Qualls & Selina Alko
- Crown: An Ode to the First Cut by Derrick Barnes, Gordon C. James
- The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson, Rafael Lopez
- Hair Love by Matthew J. Cherry
- Hands Up by Breanna J. McDaniel
- I Am Enough by Grace Byers, Keturah A. Bobo
- Let’s Talk Race by Julius Lester
- My Name is Sangoel by Karen Williams and Khadra Mohammed, illus. by Catherine Stock
- Ruby Bridges Goes to School: My True Story by Ruby Bridges
- Ruth and the Green Book by Calvin A. Ramsey, illus. by Floyd Cooper
- Something Happened in Our Town: A Child’s Story of Racial Injustice by Marianne Celano, Marietta Collins and Ann Hazzard
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
- Undocumented: A Workers Fight by Duncan Tonatiuh
- After Tupac and D Foster by Jacqueline Woodson
- All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendon Kiely
- Dear Martin by Nic Stone
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- How It Went Down – Kekla Magoon
- Piecing Me Together by Renee Watson
- Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi
- This Book Is Anti-Racist by Tiffany Jewell; illus. by Aurelia Durand
- 13th (2016) – TV-MA
- American Son (2019) – TV-MA
- BlacKkKlansman (2018) – R
- Clemency – (2019) - R
- Do the Right Thing (1989) - R
- Eyes on The Prize (1987) – PG-13
- Fruitvale Station (2013) - R
- The Hate U Give (2018) – PG-13
- The House I Live In (2012) – Not Rated
- Hidden Figures (2016) - PG
- I Am Not Your Negro (2016) – PG-13
- If Beale Street Could Talk (2018) - R
- Just Mercy (2019) – PG-13
- Loving (2016) – PG-13
- Remember the Titans (2000) - PG
- See You Yesterday (2019) – TVMA
- Selma (2014) – PG-13
- Selma (2014) – PG-13
- Walkout (2006) – TV-14
- When They See Us (2019) – TV-MA